If you are interested in working with Homebase then read carefully this may help you with your interview preparations.
Background on Homebase as a company
- Homebase is the leading home enhancement retailer in the UK and Republic of Ireland. They are part of Home Retail Group which includes brands such as: Argos and Habitat.
- They have over 38,000 products and sell to 1.5 million customers each week throughout their stores, website and mobile app.
- They are part of the Nectar Loyalty scheme and also offer “Stock Check” and “Reserve and Collect” functions for their customers.
- Homebase won the Institute of Customer Service “Customer Focus Awards 2011”
- They currently employ approx 19,000 people in a mix of full and part time positions in their stores, distribution centres and offices.
Homebase have some 3,000 people applying for jobs within their company each month! You must stand out from the crowd.
From sending in your application form you should treat this as a 1st Stage interview, do not rush it, make sure you answer every box even if you have nothing to put in it eg: extra training courses – perhaps put N/A for your recent role.
Think carefully about your answers, do not waffle, give clear answers to what they are asking of you eg: when have you given good customer service? You need to think when you did do this, how did you do it, the circumstances and the end result.
Make sure you read the job description and application form carefully, it’s amazing how many people answer the wrong question just by not reading carefully.
Check over your application form and/or CV and make sure there are not spelling mistakes, I would advise you to get someone to look over it for you as it often helps.
Once you have the interview confirmed make sure you find out exactly where you are going, if possible you should do a dummy run so you know exactly how long it will take you, where you can park etc and most importantly which entrance you need to go through.
Dress smartly for an interview – ideally in a suit but if you do not have a suit a pair of trousers and jacket or skirt/dress and jacket. For the men out there please wear a tie, it shows that you mean business the smarter you look to your interviewer.
The most important thing to remember in an interview is to be yourself and be prepared, plan some questions you want to ask them following the interview, make sure you have done enough research on the company and the position including their locations and people and most importantly of all don’t let your nerves get the better of you, try to smile and relax and answer the questions as they ask, listen carefully.
- Tell me about yourself
- What are your weaknessess?
- Why do you want this job?
- What have you done to improve customer service in your store?
- What motivates you?
- How fexible are you around working unsocial hours
- Name a time when team building was essential in something you have done
- What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?