To find a job within Mothercare you can register your details on the website and if there is anything you want to apply for straight away then they will send you job alerts for the area in which you have specified.
Once you have applied and been successful in the role you have chosen you will normally be invited to an assessment centre situation. These are normally filled with exercises where you are broken into groups of people (all in the same situation) to see how you work in a team and might do exercise such as stock demonstration or customer service role plays.
During the demonstration you will be required to demonstrate the product they have chosen which means you must do your research thoroughly into the products they sell especially if you are not familiar with children and the products that associated with them as more than likely you will be asked to demonstrate a highchair or a buggy or such like and you want to be able to feel comfortable in doing this.
After you have done the games and assessment tasks during this time there will be a 1:1 interview with a Manager relevant to the role you have applied for but not necessarily the Manager you would be working for, this would come if you were successful and be invited back to a second stage interview.
Other assessments that Mothercare tend to do include:
- Picking 3 items that total £30.
- Giving 5 selling points to an item.
- Be given 2 products the same and selling them and the differences to your colleagues.
As daunting as these tasks may be, they will be easier if you have prepared and know and understand the products they sell. Don’t forget to look at stores that incorporate the Early Learning Centre too so you are fully aware of what all the products and areas are.
You should also expect basic interview questions as well as retail related questions:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- What motivates you?
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- What’s your ideal company?
- What attracted you to this company?
- Why should we hire you? What makes you a better candidate than others?
- What did you like least about your last job?
- When were you most satisfied in your job?
- What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?
- What were the responsibilities of your last position?
- Why are you leaving your present job?
- What do you know about this industry?
- What do you know about our company?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Good luck with your big day!