Tips and questions for a John Lewis interview. You may have a group interview so be prepared for these type of interviews too.
- John Lewis is part of the John Lewis Partnership which means that as an employee you are a partner meaning that you are all owners of the business and share in its success.
- John Lewis is the UK’s largest department store group.
- They have been voted as Britain’s Best Retailer for the third year running.
- Their department stores offer over a million different lines.
John Lewis are very keen on Training and Development, allowing their employees to develop as fully as possible under the John Lewis umbrella.
They think to the long term, they are looking for committed employees who see their role as a career choice and are looking to be developed within.
If you are just starting out in your career they also offer work experience and placement positions so well worth bearing in mind that you can still gain experience if you have a year out for example with a university.
The applications are done online for roles at John Lewis, the interview process is quite strict consisting of personality and scenario testing, a 2 day assessment centre, you only get to go through to day 2 by passing day 1. Day one is a group interview and Day 2 a individual interview. It’s a strict process however they are being thorough for one reason only they want the best for their company so the key is to prepare and research as best as possible.
Research their website, visit one of their stores, talk to people in the stores, ask them what they like about their job etc, keep it brief though as they are working too and make sure you feel that you know John Lewis inside and out.
Learn your CV and the job description, go through possible scenarios that you could be asked and how you would best answer those.
The more prepared you are the better you will feel and this will shine through in your interview.
John Lewis Interview Questions
- When has there been a time you gave good customer service?
- Describe a situation where you have had to change your style of communication?
- List three things that would be most important to you for this role.
- Give an example of constructive criticism and how you adapted to handle this.
- How do you think John Lewis could expand?
- Give an example of a time that you received feedback or was giving feedback.
- What do you know about John Lewis?
- Why do you apply for John Lewis?
- Tell me 3 bad things about yourself.
- What qualities can you bring to John Lewis?
- 5 words that people would describe a successful customer service.
- What’s the difference between a leader and a manager?
- What was the hardest decision you had to make at the work place?
- What was your greatest achievement?
- Do you have any questions?
- Tell me about yourself
- What are your weaknessess?
- Why do you want this job?
- What have you done to improve customer service in your store?
- What motivates you?
- How fexible are you around working unsocial hours
- Name a time when team building was essential in something you have done
- What John Lewis brand would you be and why?
- What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?
photo by: elliot