To be a good Catering Assistant you are helping to make sure that customers are satisfied with the quality of food and service that they receive in whatever establishment you are working in so these areas must be very important to you to do this role successfully.
There are no specific entry requirements to be a Catering Assistant but you must have a good standard of general education plus relevant food/customer experience. Once in a particular role or whilst you are looking you could do some qualifications such as an NVQ in food and hygiene up to any hospitality and Catering qualifications.
Many larger establishments have their own training schemes were you can gain qualifications whilst working so it is important to look at all companies if this is the route you wish to take.
A Catering Assistant can work in a variety of settings such as a restaurant, hotel, hospital etc and depending on the type of establishment will vary in your duties but primarily tasks include:
- Helping to prepare food to be cook, consumed.
- Being aware and following strict hygiene and health and safety rules.
- Being aware of stock, menus plans including timings of food to be prepared.
Depending on the company will depend on the hours you work but typically it could be a shift system if it’s a restaurant that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and in this environment you could be working overtime too.
Most of the work you do will be behind the scenes but it would be advisable to have some customer service experience as you will always be dealing with people from all different walks of life and as you learn and move up in the industry you will be more customer focussed.
Catering Assistant Interview Questions
- How do you see yourself in five years time?
- Give me an example of when you had to complete a protect under times conditions and how you approached it?
- Name a situation where you have received great customer service
- What product would you recommend and why?
- Why you would like to work for us?
- What are your views about John Lewis?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What catering experience do you have?
- What do you believe would bring people into the cafe?
- What would your present employer say about you?
- How important is hygiene in the workplace?
- How would you work in a busy shop?
- How would you deal with a frustrated or angry customer?
- Describe a busy day at your previous work and how you coped?
- Tell us about your previous role and the responsibilities it came with.
- What kind of work are you looking for?
- What does excellent customer service look like to you?
- Have you ever worked for us before?
- How would you describe good team work?
- Tell me about your previous experience
- Tell us a time you did something nice for somebody?
- Do you understand why DBS checks are necessary for the role?
- How would make sure you communicate and listen to a customer properly?
- Have you ever catered for someone with specific needs, how did you accommodate their needs?
- Why would you like to work for us?
- What makes you think you’ll be good at this job?
- Give an example of when you were confronted by an angry customer and explain how you dealt with it.
- Describe your customer experience background
- How do you react in certain situations that are difficult?
- What do you know about us?
- Give an example of a time in your life when you had to push yourself.
- Have you had experience working in the catering environment previously?
- Tell us a time when you have delivered excellent customer service.