If you have secured an interview for the role of Care Assistant then your interviewer will be looking at your skills and experiences plus how you will fit into the environment and establishment that you are being considered for.
As a Care Assistant you will need to be physically and mentally fit, you will witness and be involved in some unpleasant circumstances at times and you need to be able to deal with these well. You will also need to be patients, kind and caring and be able to provide support and help to those who you are caring for. Usually you will have done this work before or some voluntary work or similar experience to show your caring nature.
Before attending the interview you need to do plenty of research into the Care Home or establishment that you will be working for and find out as much information as you possibly can such as how many people do they have there, what are the range of situations to care for etc. This will prepare you for what to expect but may also generate some questions in your mind which you could turn into interview questions yourself.
Care Assistant Interview Questions
Some questions you may be asked during your interview could be:
- Why do you want a career in Care?
- How would you deal with a resident who was aggressive but clearly it is not their fault?
- How long does it take you to become annoyed? How do you deal with this?
- Name 3 duties you think you will be required to do here?
- What do you know about dementia or other illnesses?
- What shift patterns are you looking to work?
There are many questions your interviewer will want to ask but most importantly they will be looking to see your suitability to being a Care Assistant. It is a very hard role to do but the achievements are great.
You will also be asked typical interview questions so better be prepared:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What attracted you to this company?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like least about your last job?
- Give some examples of teamwork
- What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?
- What were the responsibilities of your last position?