If you have been invited to an interview for a role in Animal Care then you will have some previous animal care experience. Maybe you started off as doing some work experience and it stemmed from there. What experience with animals have you had? What kind of animals?
Research the role and the company thoroughly so you know what kind of animals you will be expected to deal with, what is the level of experience throughout the company? Go through your CV, where does your experience shine? Have you had more experience with one type of animal or a mixture, do you have any phobias for example of tarantulas? You never know what kind of animal you will need to deal with.
Your interviewer will also be looking to see what kind of person you are and how you deal with animals. You will need to be a caring and patient person as you could be dealing with frightened animals coming to a centre for the first time and they will need a great deal of reassurance and time spent with them until they settle in. This is not of course true for all animals but it gives you a vague idea of what your interviewer will be looking to see if you can demonstrate.
During your interview you could be asked questions such as:
Animal Care Interview Questions
- What are your 3 favourite animals?
- Are there any animals that you are wary or scared of and why?
- What level of care would you think that a rescue dog needs?
- How would you go about re housing an animal?
- What injections do you need to give an animal coming into the centre?
- What injections do puppies need to have and when?
- Do you know what different foods cats eat?
There are various questions that you could be asked depending on the variety of animals that you would be expected to care for but it is important to research and prepare properly so that you feel confident at your interview.
Typical Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- What’s your ideal company?
- What attracted you to this company?
- Why should we hire you?