As an Accounting Technician you would deal with all areas of accounting and business within a company. The actual duties will depend on the size of the company but you will need to be qualified to Technician status unless a training role.
The duties will be varied in most roles and you will gain experience of an all round accounting department. You will need to be a confident communicator with excellent mind for figures and numbers.
You will need to research the company and department as well as you possibly can and find out what skills you already have that matches to what they are looking for in this new role.
When preparing for your interview you need to make notes and pre prepare any questions that you may want to ask them, such as: Is this a new role or has someone recently left or been promoted? Gives you an idea why the role is free, it could be expansion or a number of other reasons but gives you an idea if you are replacing someone. As well as those kind of questions, think about more relevant work based ones that may be useful from the job description.
Accounting Technician Interview Questions
Some of the questions that you could be asked during your interview are as follows:
- What made you want to go into an Accounting Technician role?
- What experience have you had of processing payroll? And to what extent?
- What policy do you work to when dealing with processing invoices and paying them?
- Have you balanced company expenses say for Managers and Directors?
- What financial reports have you done?
- Have you had responsibility for VAT returns etc and in what capacity?
Your interviewer will be looking for a mature and responsible attitude within this important role. You will need to remain confidential and deal with all issues efficiently.
Don’t forget to check out following interview questions too:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- What’s your ideal company?
- What attracted you to this company?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like least about your last job?
- When were you most satisfied in your job?
- What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?
- What were the responsibilities of your last position?