To apply for a role within Topshop, the stores are responsible for recruiting their store teams directly with the exception of new store openings when Head Office will perform this recruitment and if you want to apply for a role at Head office you will need to approach them direct, this can be done via the website where all new roles are kept up to date. For their flagship store in Oxford Street you can apply for these roles without going to the individual store and can apply online.
Topshop seem to have different procedures for different roles as follows.
Retail Management positions
Typically this will be a three stage process:
1. 1st stage telephone screening
2. 1:1 competency based interview or an assessment centre which will involve a group exercise, 1:1 competency based interview and a presentation.
3. 2nd interview and a commercial floor walk.
You will be kept updated as to the process at each stage. If the role is more senior there could be other tiers added to above including meeting with senior staff, visiting other stores etc.
Head Office positions
Typically this will be a two stage process:
1. First stage interview with the brand HR Team which includes a 1:1 competency based interview or at an assessment centre location.
2. This second interview will be with the Line Manager of the department you are looking to work in and will usually involve a job typical task for example: a SWOT analysis, maths test etc.
Again you will be kept up to date at each stage to ensure you have the feedback and should further levels be required to be added you will be informed.
As with all interviews it’s very important to do your research by knowing the brand as well as you can and making sure that the job description matches your skills and you can sell your skills to your interviewer and show them you are right for the job they are looking to employ someone for.
Topshop interview questions
Why do you want to work here?
Tell me about yourself.
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
Why do you want this job?
Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
What’s your ideal company?
What attracted you to this company?
Why should we hire you? What makes you a better candidate than others?
What did you like least about your last job?
When were you most satisfied in your job?
What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?
What were the responsibilities of your last position?
Why are you leaving your present job?
What do you know about this industry?
What do you know about our company?
Do you have any questions for me?